Is there a cost for searching?
There is no cost to search the GTP. Should you find a technology, capability or need you are interested in, simply click to connect with the representative of that organization.
What’s the best way to do a keyword search?
In the search box, you can use wildcard characters to find variations of your keyword. Here are some examples:
- assa* – to search for assay and assays, as well as other words beginning with assa
- as?ay – if you don’t know if assay has two s’s or one
- *assay – for all words ending in assay
How do I find a technology, need or capability that matches my criteria?
The GTP makes it easy for universities and corporations to find each other and begin licensing and partnership discussions. You can search several different ways:
Click on one of the sections listed across the top bar and start browsing. The data is organized into the following groups
- Organizations: All AUTM members' organizations will appear in this section. From here you can explore all of the data they have posted.
- Technologies: AUTM members post the technologies they have available for licensing. The listings may include images, additional URLs, and tags.
- Needs: Corporate AUTM members post information about their technology needs, making it easier for others to propose matching solutions or ideas.
- Capabilities: This is your place to find experts in a particular research area. This is also the resource to use when preparing to attend an AUTM event to maximize your networking.
- Startups: Universities provide information on their startups. Corporations and investors can learn more about these dynamic companies that are up and running and could be a great opportunity for collaboration, investment, or an acquisition.
- Success Stories: Read about all the ways that AUTM member organizations have helped society and economic development. These stories are an extension of the well regarded Better World Report [http://www.betterworldproject.net].
- Use the Search box in the top right corner to enter a keyword. You can choose to search the entire database or just one section by using the pull down menu. Remember to use wildcards to make your search more effective.
- Use the Tag Cloud by clicking on a keyword of interest and see all the data that was tagged with that keyword.
What is an Alert?
You can set up an email alert
for your search criteria and the GTP will send you an email every time something new is posted that matches your criteria.
What does Follow do?
You can click on the Follow button at the top of an organization’s summary page and the GTP will send you email alerts when that organization posts any new data.
Can I find out who has viewed my technology or organization’s page?
No. At this time we do not provide analytics. Some website analytics may be an option in the future but since registration is not required to search the site, detailed contact information cannot be provided.
I’m an AUTM member, do I have to register?
No. As an AUTM member, you are already a registered user of the GTP. When you click Login at the top right corner, you will see a big blue button specifically for AUTM member Login. You have a single login to access the AUTM and GTP websites. Your username and password are your current credentials for the AUTM website.
DO NOT create a new account on the GTP because it will be designated as a non-member account. It is not necessary for you to create a new account and you will not have the same access level as you will by entering as an AUTM member.
I’m NOT an AUTM member, can I have an account?
Yes. Simply click the Signup button in the top right corner and fill in the few fields requested. You will now be able to create email alerts or follow organizations to be notified about new postings.
Alternately, you can join AUTM
and get all the benefits of being a member, including the ability to post your own technologies, needs and capabilities, as well as access the membership directory.
What if I can't join AUTM?
If you work for a government laboratory or a nonprofit that does not allow memberships in professional organizations such as AUTM, your organization can now purchase an annual GTP-only subscription for $200 per year. This GTP-only subscription will allow you to post technologies, needs, capabilities, etc. on the GTP. This is not an AUTM membership and you will not receive access to AUTM benefits including deep discounts on networking events. This option simply exists for organizations for whom individual membership in AUTM is prohibited by government rules. You may purchase a GTP-only subscription here
What is a nonmember GTP-only subscription and who is eligible for it?
AUTM recognizes that many government agencies and nonprofit institutions outside of the U.S. have restrictions that do not allow for association memberships. To allow for the inclusion of technologies from these institutions, thereby helping corporations find the right technology and improve economic development, AUTM has created a subscription option to help these restricted organizations participate in the GTP. For $200 per year, an organization will receive 1 Organizational Administrator
account to the GTP (no other AUTM benefits are included) that will allow them to upload their technologies, capabilities, needs, etc. as described below
. Universities and corporations are not eligible for this GTP-only access but are welcome to become AUTM members
and enjoy all of the benefits associated with membership, including access to the GTP.
Do I have to be an AUTM member to post information?
No. If you work for a government lab or a nonprofit organization that does not allow membership in professional associations such as AUTM, you can purchase a GTP subscription
for $200 per year. If you are not currently an AUTM member and you do not qualify for the GTP subscription option, simply become an AUTM member
and enjoy all the benefits of this active and global association.
Can everyone search the GTP?
Yes! Our goal is to facilitate technology transfer. Anyone can search the GTP.
How do I change my Userinfo Settings (user profile information)?
- Go to autm.net and log in (look in the top right corner)
- In the left navigation bar under Member Connect, click on Your Member Profile
- Under Functional Job Title, click Edit to update your role [Note: Level 1: Director is given Organizational Administration privileges in the GTP], click Save
- To the right of your picture on the My Profile Page, click Edit Contact Information (can also be accessed under the Member Connect menu by clicking on Update Member Info)
- Ensure that you are associated with the correct Company, using the Company Search button at the top to choose from existing organizations before you create a new one. Click Submit at the bottom if you have made any changes to your contact information.
- Click on Reset Password found in the Member Connect menu to the left or in the top right corner of your Member Info page
- Change your Username (preferably not to your email address) and your password (for security reasons, you should consider changing your password every 60-90 days). These changes will be reflected in on the AUTM site and directory immediately. They will be made in the GTP system after the next synchronization (within 24 hours).
Can anyone in the organization post information?
No. There are several levels of access to ensure the quality of the data posted. The following is a list of access levels and their permissions.
The Organization Administrator can change the access level for anyone in that organization. Initially, the technology transfer office director (or highest ranking member) has been designated as the Organization Administrator. Please contact him/her to change your access level.
You must have at least Organizational Content Editor access to add and edit information and data for your organization (see access level descriptions above). The following information for your organization can be added and edited on the GTP:
- Summary information including a general description, website, contact information, types of research schools and your logo.
- Capabilities your organization has, which can range from research expertise to lab facilities. Enter as many as you like.
- Needs are like the opposite of technologies available for licensing. This is your place (of particular interest to companies and government labs) to tell the AUTM community about what research and technology needs you have to fulfill a product development effort or mission requirement for a government lab, and let them help you find a viable solution.
- Technologies available for licensing can also be manually entered (see bulk upload information below).
- Startups created through the licensing of your organization’s technology can be listed in the GTP to help them be more successful through interactions with organizations that search the GTP, such as investors and companies looking for solutions.
- Success Stories is the place to tell the world about all of your technology transfer accomplishments.
If you have the proper access, each section is a tab on your organization’s page accessible by clicking on your username in the top right corner then selecting the organization you belong to,and then click Management. There are easy to use fields for each section to help organize your information and make it easier to search. Remember to USE TAGS! This will enhance search results.
How do I post our organization’s technologies to the GTP in bulk?
Only AUTM members and paid subscribers
may post their information to the portal, and only a designated Organizational Super Editor or Administrator (see above for designations) has permission to upload a set of technologies using the GTP Feed. Several systems and processes are supported for upload:
- View the GTP API to upload an XML file of your technologies.
- The GTP can connect with and perform nightly updates for the following systems:
- Participants of the Massachusetts Technology Portal (MATP)
- Participants of FlintBox (Wellspring Sophia users should publish to FlintBox and then connect to the GTP)
- Inteum IP management system users
If you are a KSS TTS user, you will use the "XML posting to API" method. Contact KSS to have the XML export automatically exported on a nightly basis, and provide them with the security key.
Easy to follow instructions are provided on the Feed Setting tab of your organization’s page (you must have the appropriate access to view this tab).
How can I use the GTP to maximize my in-person networking?
AUTM Annual Meetings, are the only events where industry dealmakers can network with nearly every academic research institution in the world in one place at one time. AUTM members receive a significant discount on registration, but the meeting is open to anyone interested in finding the latest academic technologies available for licensing. To learn more, visit www.autm.net/events. The AUTM Annual Meeting offers AUTM Connect ™ an online partnering system that will help you effortlessly connect with other attendees to set up one-on-one meetings. Use the AUTM GTP to find a university or company you're interested in connecting with, and invite them to meet in person at the AUTM Annual Meeting by connecting through AUTM Connect ™.
How do I obtain the API key for my organization?
If you are the administrator for your organization
- You can first login to GTP
- Click on your organization name
- Click on "Management"
- Under "Management" you will see a "Feed Settings" tab
- Under the "Feed Settings" tab, you will see a "XML Posting to API" box, there will be a security key there.
I'm an AUTM member. Can my non-AUTM member colleague be given access to upload data?
No. In order to have access to input data and see member contact information (as well as other future benefits), you must be able to log into the AUTM system (either as a member or with a paid GTP subscription). A user with Organizational Administration access can delegate the level of access only to members of their organization who are AUTM members. GTP-only subscribers
will have Organizational Administrator access for the organization but will not be able to add additional users. Non-AUTM members who set up a GTP user account will not be associated with the organization and will not be able to upload data.
I've purchased a nonmember GTP-only subscription. Can my colleagues be given access to upload data?
If there are others within your organization that need to have Organizational Administration access to the GTP, you may add them by purchasing additional paid subscriptions of $200/year. Call AUTM headquarters to do so at +1-847-559-0846.
How often does GTP update the technologies post from the different data sources?
GTP will have a program that runs every night that updates the technologies post from the different data sources such as Inteum, Flintbox etc. between Eastern Standard Time (EST) 12-1 midnight.